This building, originally a residence, was built in 1884 in downtown San José. It was located at 91 North San Pedro Street near the corner of St. John Street. The neighborhood was an Italian American commercial district and center for the community for a hundred years.
Beginning in 1926 the MenMuir family lived in the house for almost forty years. The house is an example of a typical building found in San José in the nineteenth century because of its “false front” appearance and distinctive corner decorations. It was moved to History Park in 1972 and transformed into a nineteenth century print shop.
History Park’s Print Shop is a recreated ‘job shop’ which was common in San José from 1890 until 1915. These businesses did small projects such as brochures, flyers, business cards, and stationary. The F. M. Weiler Liberty (patent 1874) and an 1886 Pearl are two examples of job printing equipment used in the shop.
On selected weekends and at special events, Printers’ Guild members demonstrate various presses to create newsletters, invitations, bookmarks, and more. At special events, audience members can participate in making their own hand-printed souvenir.
The Print Shop is home to and operated by the Printers’ Guild.
View archival images of the building from History San José’s Collection.