Dr. Henry Hulme Warburton was one of the first physicians in the Santa Clara Valley. Born in Staffordshire, England, in 1819, he emigrated to the United States in 1844. Warburton was a surgeon aboard a whaling ship when it docked in San Francisco in 1847. Like many others he tried his hand at gold mining, but settled in Santa Clara, establishing his medical practice in 1848.
Warburton constructed this office in the 1870s. After his death in 1903, many other physicians, and one dentist, Dr. Thomas Gallup, occupied the building. The building was used as law offices from 1954 to 1964 until urban renewal in downtown Santa Clara threatened to destroy it. In 1966, Dr. Warburton’s office was the first building to be relocated to History Park.
Dr. Warburton’s Office is featured in the People at Work and History Park TourSchool Programs.